1. Let’s be honest. There’s a generation of teenagers that wouldn’t be born if it wasn’t for VooDoo.
Virgin Records / Via theotherblack.tumblr.com
2. Without him, your fave R&B artists WOULDN’T EVEN EXIST.
3. Justin Timberlake took a page right out of D’Angelo’s Holy Soul Book when he released “Pusha Love Girl” on The 20/20 Experience album.
Getty Images Kevin Winter
4. Beyonce’s “Rocket” paid homage to the bewitchingly sexy vibe D’Angelo is known for.
Columbia Records / Via youtube.com
5. So when Black Messiah dropped, understandably the public couldn’t contain itself.
6. You know you’re the man when J Cole would rather promote your album than the one he put out LAST WEEK.
7. And justifiably so. I mean, it’s D’Angelo.
WireImage James Devaney
8. He became the king of musical euphemism when he wrote “Brown Sugar” and everyone thought he was talking about a woman…
9. …when he was really talking about this.
Getty Images/iStockphoto Boltenkoff
10. With a consistent musical vision that oozes soul from both ends, the Virginia native blesses us on both keys AND guitar.
11. He PRACTICALLY INVENTED SEX with the heart-stopping, ab-tastic video for “How Does It Feel,” which remains one the best videos of all time.
Virgin Records / Via youtube.com
12. His falsetto voice had people emotional like…
The CW / Via giphy.com
13. Even when you can’t understand what he’s saying, you understand EVERYTHING he’s saying.
14. He keeps live instrumentation alive, and brought the Rhodes electric piano back to the forefront of soul music.
The warm Rhodes sound has been used in most modern soul and hip-hop, from Erykah Badu and J Dilla to Common and SZA.
15. D’Angelo has shown that you can be a musical genius AND insanely attractive…
Getty Images Frank Micelotta
16. …and as seen in his GQ spread from 2012, he’s shown the best things only get better with time.
17. D’Angelo takes his time to make quality music, and after 14 years, he is right on time.
18. Every music lover shed tears of gratitude for this gift of Soul.
FOX / Via giphy.com
19. Forget I AM LEGEND.
Warner Brothers / Via fuckyeah-filmstills.tumblr.com
20. More like…I AM D’ANGELO.
Ã‚Â© Gregory Harris / Via Facebook: dangelo